Our McCoy Line
|Our McCoy line traces back to Andrew McCoy, born June of 1823(1) in Westmoreland County, PA (11). He owned a general store in Tidioute, PA where he sold items such as hog’s lard, flour, coffee, and did shoe and boot repairs(2). He first married Susannah Binkerd in 1848(1), who was from Perry Township, Armstrong County, PA(3). It is there that they are found with their son George Washington McCoy in the 1850 census(4). Their children were as follows: Babe, born 1849; George Washington McCoy, born 1850; Elizabeth Jane McCoy, born 1852; Daniel Walker McCoy, born 1854; Aaron Thomas McCoy, born 1857(1). For reasons unknown, Susannah passed away in the year 1859(1). During the Civil War, Andrew McCoy enlisted in the Pennsylvania 78th Infantry Regiment, Co. E, and served from 1861 to 1864(5).Andrew then married Susan Wilt(1), daughter of George and Margaret Wilt(6). George Wilt was a land owner(7) and Lutheran church elder (8)in Kittaning township, Armstrong County, PA. Andrew and Susan had two children: Henry Wilt McCoy, born in Tidioute in 1872, and Ida May McCoy, born in 1875(1). Andrew passed away March 17, 1893 at the age of 70 (11). Susan Wilt McCoy collected a Civil War pension from Andrew McCoy’s service in the Civil War(2), and lived to the year 1902(1).
Henry Wilt McCoy was probably named after Susan’s brother, Henry Wilt(6). He became a sawyer by trade, and worked in the Tidioute and Tionesta areas. He married Hannah Elizabeth Shawgo in 1895, daughter of John and Elizabeth Haggerty Shawgo from Franklin, PA. Henry and Hannah had nine children: John H., born 1896; Anna E., born 1899; Merl (Bill), born 1902; Cecil G. (Bowse), born 1906; Raymond W. (Pete), born 1904; Laura M., born 1908; Hazel L., born 1910; Lyle W., born 1913; Robert J., born 1917.
Henry McCoy and his family lived in Tidioute and Tionesta, PA for a number of years, and then finally settled in Dravosburg, PA around the year 1918(10). There he became a member of the Dravosburg Methodist Episcopal Church(10). He passed away December 16, 1939 and was buried in Franklin, PA(10). Hannah Shawgo McCoy remarried twice more, to Ernest Rogers, who died in 1944, then to George Wagner. Hannah passed away in 1957(9).Sources:1. Andrew McCoy bible entries, transcribed by Laurel Morris from copies given to her by Audeane McCoy Goerlich, who received them from Raymond (Pete) McCoy in the early 1990’s.
1. Andrew McCoy bible entries, transcribed by Laurel Morris from copies given to her by Audeane McCoy Goerlich, who received them from Raymond (Pete) McCoy in the early 1990’s.
3. Binkerd Cemetery information, text from Armstrong County Genealogy Project, file contributed by Doris Shettel (email@example.com)Copyright 1986, Doris Shettel
4. 1850 US Census copy, Perry Township, Armstrong County PA.
5. Text of passed down ancestry information from Barbara Black Withers, and text of Civil War information from Ancestry.com
6. Wilt bible entries, transcribed by Laurel Morris from copies given to her by Audine McCoy Goerlich, who received them from Raymond (Pete) McCoy in the early 1990’s.
7. Text from History of Armstrong County, pp 373-393, Robert Walker Smith, Esq. Chicago: Waterman, Watkins & Co., 1883.Transcribed May 2001 by James R. Hindman for the Armstrong County Smith Project.Published 2001 by the Armstrong County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project.
8. Text from Pages 211 to 230, Armstrong County, Pa., Her People, Past and Present, J. H. Beers & Co., 19114Transcribed July 1998 by James R. Hindman for the Armstrong County Beers ProjectPublished 1998 by the Armstrong County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project
9. Hannah Elizabeth Shawgo McCoy Rogers Wagner funeral card, transcribed by Laurel Morris
10. Henry Wilt McCoy obituary, McKeesport Daily News, December 19, 1938, transcribed by Laurel Morris
11. Andrew McCoy Obituary, The Forest Republican, March 29, 1893