Henry Wilt McCoy was the son of Susan Wilt McCoy and Andrew McCoy, born in 1872 in Tidioute, PA. He was probably named after his mother Susan Wilt’s brother, Henry Wilt(6). He became a sawyer by trade, and worked in the Tidioute and Tionesta areas. He married Hannah Elizabeth Shawgo in 1895, daughter of John and Elizabeth Haggerty Shawgo from Franklin, PA. Henry and Hannah had nine children: John H., born 1896; Anna E., born 1899; Merl (Bill), born 1902; Cecil G. (Bowse), born 1906; Raymond W. (Pete), born 1904; Laura M., born 1908; Hazel L., born 1910; Lyle W., born 1913; Robert J., born 1917.
Henry McCoy and his family lived in Tidioute and Tionesta, PA for a number of years, and then finally settled in Dravosburg, PA around the year 1918(10). There he became a member of the Dravosburg Methodist Episcopal Church(10). He passed away December 16, 1939 and was buried in Franklin, PA(10). Hannah Shawgo McCoy remarried twice more, to Ernest Rogers, who died in 1944, then to George Wagner. Hannah passed away in 1957(9).
Henry McCoy Obituary
-From McKeesport Daily News, 12/18/1939:Henry W. McCoyHenry WIlt McCoy, 66*, of 302 Richland Ave., Dravosburg, died Saturday at 12:45 p. m., at his home after an illness of three years. He was born in Tidioute, Pa., Oct. 21, 1872, and had lived in Dravosburg for the last 21 years. He was employed at a sawyer and had been a member of the Dravosburg M.E. Church.Besides his widow, Mrs. Hannah E. Shawgo-McCoy, he is survived by three daughters and six sons, Mrs. Anna Blair and Mrs. Laura* DeLong, both of Franklin, Mrs. Hazel Black of Dravosburg, John H. McCoy of Tidioute, Merl L. McCoy of Duquesne, Raymond W. McCoy of McKeesport, Cecil G. and Lyle W. McCoy of Dravosburg, and Robert J. McCoy of Munhall; also by nine grandchildren.Funeral services will be held today at 8 p.m. at the Willig Funeral Home, 220 Ninth Ave., in charge of the Rev. John Black of the Dravosburg M.E. Church, assisted by the Rev. J.A. Logan. The body will be taken tomorrow to Franklin for burial at Phipps Cemetery. Friends are being received at the Willig Funeral Home.
* Newspaper typing errors corrected
1. Andrew McCoy bible entries, transcribed by Laurel Morris from copies given to her by Audeane McCoy Goerlich, who received them from Raymond (Pete) McCoy in the early 1990’s.
2. Andrew McCoy papers, transcribed by Laurel Morris from copies given to her by Audeane McCoy Goerlich, who received them from Raymond (Pete) McCoy in the early 1990’s.
3. Binkerd Cemetery information, text from Armstrong County Genealogy Project, file contributed by Doris Shettel (email@example.com)Copyright 1986, Doris Shettel
4. 1850 US Census copy, Perry Township, Armstrong County PA.
5. Text of passed down ancestry information from Barbara Black Withers, and text of Civil War information from Ancestry.com
6. Wilt bible entries, transcribed by Laurel Morris from copies given to her by Audine McCoy Goerlich, who received them from Raymond (Pete) McCoy in the early 1990’s.
7. Text from History of Armstrong County, pp 373-393, Robert Walker Smith, Esq. Chicago: Waterman, Watkins & Co., 1883.Transcribed May 2001 by James R. Hindman for the Armstrong County Smith Project.Published 2001 by the Armstrong County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project.
8. Text from Pages 211 to 230, Armstrong County, Pa., Her People, Past and Present, J. H. Beers & Co., 19114Transcribed July 1998 by James R. Hindman for the Armstrong County Beers ProjectPublished 1998 by the Armstrong County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project
9. Hannah Elizabeth Shawgo McCoy Rogers Wagner funeral card, transcribed by Laurel Morris
10. Henry Wilt McCoy obituary, McKeesport Daily News, December 19, 1938, transcribed by Laurel Morris